It Should Be FAIR! DACA Application Scholarship
FUNDING AMOUNT: $465.00
December applications will be accepted between 9 AM December 1st through 5 PM December 21st.
PURPOSE & BACKGROUND:
The It Should Be FAIR! DACA Scholarship is a monthly award given to 3 chosen individuals. The scholarship is designed for first-time Asian and Pacific Islanders who are eligible and ready to submit their Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) application, but has not done so yet. With the support of FAIR!, all awardees are expected to submit their application within 7 days upon receiving funding.
We want to ensure that all DACA eligible APIs have a chance at applying for this scholarship. If you’re thinking about DACA, and unsure if you qualify or should apply, contact info@ItShouldBeFAIR.com to connect with someone who can help you start on the application process.
All applicants must meet the following criteria in order to apply for the FAIR! DACA Application Scholarship.
- Applicant’s country of origin is located in Asia or in the Pacific Islands, and ethnically identifies as Asian or Pacific Islander
- Is eligible for Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) as outlined by United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Please refer to the list below and to USCIS’ webpage here.
Eligibility for DACA includes:
- Are at least 15 years old and was born after June 15th, 1981.’
- Came to the United States before reaching your 16th birthday;
- Have continuously resided in the United States since June 15, 2007, up to the present time;
- Were physically present in the United States on June 15, 2012, and at the time of making your request for consideration of deferred action with USCIS;
- Had no lawful status on June 15, 2012;
- Are currently in school, have graduated or obtained a certificate of completion from high school, have obtained a general education development (GED) certificate, or are an honorably discharged veteran of the Coast Guard or Armed Forces of the United States; and
- Have not been convicted of a felony, significant misdemeanor, or three or more other misdemeanors, and do not otherwise pose a threat to national security or public safety.
- Applicant has a fully completed DACA application, but has not yet mailed in their forms:
- Collected the necessary documents and evidence needed to prove they have meet DACA guidelines.
- Completed USCIS form I-821D, I-765 and I-765WS.
- Applicants DACA application that has been reviewed by an attorney. (For free legal assistance and legal resources, please contact Info@ItShouldBeFair.org.)
- Is currently ready to submit their DACA application. Please note that all awarded applicants will be asked to submit their DACA application within 7 days upon receiving funding.
We want to ensure that all DACA eligible APIs have a chance at applying for this scholarship. If you’re thinking about DACA, unsure if you qualify, or if you’re in need of free resources such as an immigration attorney, contact info@ItShouldBeFAIR.com to connect with a professional who can help you get started.
HOW TO APPLY:
Complete and submit the application form by the monthly deadline. Application forms are available online and in print:
- Online: Application form can be found here.
- In print: Paper applications are available to be printed here. You may also request a form be mailed to you, by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. All requests will be processed within 2 business days. When requesting, please indicate which form you would like to receive and a mailing address.
All awardees are expected to complete the following as a stipulation of receiving the scholarship:
- Submit your completed DACA application within 7 days upon receiving funding. Any support needed in the final mailing of the application will be provided by FAIR!
- Volunteer for a minimum of 6 hours with either FAIR! or 21 Progress, within 12 months of receiving the funding. Information about opportunities to meet this requirement will be provided to all awardees.
- Complete a short report about how receiving the It Should Be FAIR! Scholarship and DACA has changed your life. Reports can take on a variety of forms- from poems, essays, and performances, to videos, or photo journals. Reports should be thoughtful, creative, and thorough. Reports should be completed within 2 months after receiving your DACA status. These reports will be shared publicly, however applicants can choose to remain anonymous.
- Applications are accepted during the 2nd and 3rd weeks of every month.
- The scholarship will be awarded to 3 individuals, chosen by the following two criteria:
- Realistic ability to submit their DACA application within 7 days upon receiving scholarship funding
- Thoughtful and thorough completion of the It Should Be FARI! DACA Application Scholarship.
- Award winners will be selected and announced 7 days after the application deadline. Please note, all anonymity will remain intact until DACA applicants receive their protected status.
- A representative from FAIR! will provide support for all awardee obligations, as listed above.